Skip to main content

Reply to "Cooperstown versus Cal Ripken experience for 12 u"

Goblue33 posted:

I've done both. My oldest was on a new team and we were new to Travel Ball and ended up at Ripken.  

Late July I think. It was ridiculously hot and a very expensive trip.   We do high level major ball now and the experience back then was great but now I can see it was really just a tournament that we paid a boat load of $ for vs a team price.  Ceremonies etc. weren't that great.    We went .500 started in the losers bracket and made the semifinal.  Competition was perfect for that team at that time, high AA ball. It was so hot at opening ceremonies that kids were passing out on the field.  

Cooperstown Dreams Park this year and that was a special experience except that there weren't many good teams there.    Every pool play game was a 4 inning mercy for us.  Lost in quarter final to another decent team but of 104 only about 10 good teams there.  Kids had a blast staying in the barracks.  Our house on lake Canadarango was awesome and only about $1000 vs. $350 a night at Ripken.  All in all no comparison. 

If you don't have  ticket for dreams park just go to to All Star Village. I think it falls somewhere in between the two in terms of experience but if you've never been to either, I don't know how you'd know.  Also, they have beer (Drams Park is very strict and no beer at Ripken!)

Can't beat staying in a house on a lake.  My wife and daughter stayed there with another couple that week (I coached, son played)....and loved it.  Had a jet ski along with a dock.  Wish I'd have stayed there instead of the barracks lol.  If you've never used a service like VRBO, look into it the next time you have a week long tourney.  Used it for a house on Lake Allatoona during the WWBA (LakePoint wasn't there yet, but it would be about 10 minutes away now) and also on Wats Bar Lake in Knoxville when we played in Battle in the South.  Split it with another family or 2, buy food at the grocery instead of eating out and it's a heck of a lot less money than staying in hotels.....and a lot more fun.