Skip to main content

Reply to "Cutoffs"

Golfman25 posted:

[quote]  I want our OF to throw a line to his target to get there with velocity.  

We want no more than 2 hops.  Anything more than 2 hops is a weak throw which gets us to the next one... [/quote]

This is so important.  Bad coaches don't teach/enforce this.  They talk about "hitting the cut" as opposed to throwing to the target.  I don't have enough fingers and toes to tell you how many outs we have given up and runs allowed because of this.  

I tell my guys that they are throwing from point A (where they are) to point B (home, third, second) and the cut / relay guy is there to help.  He's not a point in the line we are making.  We practice this a lot mainly by having OF throw without a cut relay guy initially.  Teach them to throw all the way to where the play is.  I have my cut / relay guys stand and see where each guys throw first bounces so they get an idea of where they need to position themselves.  We still want the overall idea of 2/3 to 1/3 of the throw being made by OF.

All that being said - last week my LF had to throw to the plate in our 2nd round playoff game.  Guy rounds third and my LF comes up throwing this majestic arc of a throw that's easily 10 feet over my 3B head.  It was beautiful arc that geometry teachers would use for years to teach something.  Soon as I saw it leave his hand I turned to watch the hitter round first and head to second easily.  

So back to the coaching when we start summer ball in a couple of weeks.  Maybe it will stick this time.