Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 and Premed"

quote:
Originally posted by BaseballmomandCEP:
I guess the real answer is, 'it depends.'

Doing pre-med anywhere, and getting a high enough GPA, is a challenge.

Call the pre-med advisor and ask them, I am sure they can give a candid view of how well the varsity athletes in general do.

I have had many doctors tell me this tip: students going pre med should try to do the 'gut' chem class over the summer, evne at a local community college of your home college permits it. For many students, it is grueling, and it can be a GPA killer.

Also, know that you don't have to be a bio or chem major to 'be pre med' so get good advice about a 'softer major' and still doing the pre med track.

Very good advice of course.

One way to analyze this is to consider how tough it is to get into medical school in the first place. I read an article a few years back and they analyzed the difference between getting into law school and getting into medical school here at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. They said the law school typically gets about 2,000 applicants annually for about 300 seats. The medical school on the other hand typically receives between 5,000 to 7,000 applications annually for 125 seats Eek I am assuming it is like that for every medical school in the country. They said the typical medical applicant accepted had perfect 4.0 records in college, scored very high on their medical exam (MCAT?), and typically had advanced degrees including many applicants with PHd's. My guess is it would be EXTREMELY difficult for even the brightest students to maintain a 4.0 average and participate in sports.

If he wants to be a doctor someday, my best advice would be to put his heart and soul into making that happen and forgo the baseball stuff. On the other hand, if he has a future in baseball, I would encourage that as well and perhaps focus on some other major that will not require such impeccable academic credentials.