Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 and Premed"

quote:
BOF said...My personal opinion is that science, pre-med, engineering and other lab dependent majors are not compatible with playing D1 baseball unless it is part of the programs culture. This means the coach is openly supportive, you go watch some practices and see it for yourself, and you confirm it with others on the roster. In the end it WILL impact your sons playing time, even if the program is supportive IMO.

quote:
BaseballmonandCEP said...Call the pre-med advisor and ask them, I am sure they can give a candid view of how well the varsity athletes in general do.

I have had many doctors tell me this tip: students going pre med should try to do the 'gut' chem class over the summer, evne at a local community college of your home college permits it. For many students, it is grueling, and it can be a GPA killer.

I couldn't have said it any better. The advice BOF and BaseballmomandCEP offer is extremely easy to verify and valuable. I would follow up on those ideas presented.

I think the other part of this puzzle is understanding your son, and his work ethic. If he is self-motivated, disciplined and a self-learner by nature this may be a good situation for him. He my hit his stride in college, who knows? But alot of this may be out of his hands if the program is not tolerant & supportive of students with difficult majors as BOF points out.

The other dynamic to this is his baseball position. If he is a pitcher there may be more tolerance than for a position player. I know in my son's case (engineering) that pitching vs position players is a huge difference with his D1 baseball program.
Last edited by fenwaysouth