Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Roster Sizes"

I'm looking forward to hearing from others on D1 cut mechanics, but will pass along some items I understand to be the case.  Limit is 35 (but can be fewer) starting in spring,  Any individual that has a scholarship has to be counted against that 35 (presumably could be cut, but still a counter).  The approach a coach takes in cutting scholarship players probably depends on that coach.  In order to free up the counter, one would need to the kid to relinquish his scholarship (assuming it is 4 yr) or you simply do not renew it at the end of spring for the following year.  Not sure how often this occurs for rising sophomores or juniors, but many programs historically have conditioned seniors' participation on giving up scholarship dollars (4 year guarantee would do away with that approach).  

I am writing because I am more curious as to what options might be available for those players at D1 schools that are cut in late fall.  Assuming they wish to continue their baseball journey, might they be able to transfer to a JUCO and play in the spring?