Skip to main content

Reply to "D3: who has pull, slots, tips, etc?"

As a D3 coach in the Northeast I can tell you the answer to your question is as varied as there are programs. I can tell you what applies to our program and I'm sure other schools are similar but not the same. 

• As for "pull" .... in our school all the athletic programs are afforded what we call direct admit. Which means an athlete gets admissions to do their application ahead of the regular student body. No preference for underperformance just immediate admittance if they qualify. There are avenues for borderline applicants like special tests and makeup programs .... the athletes get that help right away.
  • We are required to hold an open tryout. It is not well publicised to the student body so most of the kids that show up were already on our recruit list and applied to the school. We get about 50 kids to the open tryout and we usually have 1 or 2 make the roster. Since there are no scholarships we only guarantee our recruits a spot on the fall roster and then it's up to them to stick.
  • We start a database on PSA's as soon as the player is in HS. First looks are usually a video. If both parties stay interested we try to see them in game action. We attend showcases but rarely do we use it as a recruiting tool unless a PSA is already in our database and he lets us know he will be at a specific showcase. We usually let our recruits know which showcases we will attend. We also have a camp or open workout for PSA's.
  • The academics of the players reflect the general student body. If they get in the school they are eligible to play. We don't reject a player just because he is in the lower percentile. Of course he is required to go to study hall and supply us with a progress report from his professors. If he falls below a 2.2 GPA he becomes ineligible at our school.
  • We allow our players to play summer ball where they feel it's best for their situation. We recommend certain players to certain programs but it's not required to play. If they decide not to play we STRONGLY suggest they be in a training program over the summer