Skip to main content

Reply to "D3: who has pull, slots, tips, etc?"

I'll add as well from my experience with 2018 this past year with D3:

• which coach's (schools) have pull, slot, tips - or whatever name is given - with admissions;

Son really did not need assistance with admissions as he was accepted into a doctorates program first try.  I do know the coach followed up with admissions before we actually received official notification through the mail.

• how many kids show up each fall to tryout;

Since he has yet to attend, not really sure on how many there were, but when 2018 went for OV the HC told us that there was a little over recruiting the year prior with more than expected walk-ons...he planned to cut roster down to 35-37 players in spring...this spring they have 39.  I do recall seeing someone last fall that was recruited and the player was not on the spring roster --could be medical or grade ineligibility though.  The player my son stayed with during the OV was not on the roster as well (he is a soph this year).  The D3 is always in the top regional standings.

• Where and when (his HS yr) was your son seen:

Son was seen at a camp the D3 hosted in August timeframe before senior year...we were the last to register two weeks prior as my son was school searching for 6 year programs in PT.  Went and had a day going 3 for 4 with a 3B, 2B, 1B, and line out...also threw a laser from RF to snag a guy at home.  Head Coach called him 5 mins after we left and invited him for an OV.  HC and son have been talking weekly ever since.  I've heard that D3 coaches do this  due to not wanting to lose the player since nothing is binding the player to the school until they step on campus.  HC told son he was one of the top two or three position players recruited this year.  HC never gave 2018 a deadline either...there was no contact with asst coaches or recruiting coordinator...all contact was with HC.  Not sure if this is routine, but figured it was a good sign.  Son decided to commit in October.

• Can a kid be in the lower half of the incoming academic class stats: 

Really not sure on this one.

• Some added notes:

If i could give any advice concerning D3's is do not rush just to commit...take your time.  Find a school and team that your player clicks with.  We were fortunate to find the D3 my soon committed to.  One day during practice in Feb when my son and i were up for a scholarship essay, the coach invited us on field and behind the batting net during BP.  We ended up talking about the players taking BP...which ones he liked, some that needed work, told us about the incoming freshmen, etc...my son had a good time.  I could see how the conversation just flowed between him and my son and knew the decision 2018 made was the right one.  Good luck to all the players during the college season and to the HS parents out there, enjoy it!  Because it goes quick...

Last edited by phillyinNJ