Skip to main content

Reply to "Dad, it doesn't help...."

Stats4Gnats posted:

I agree with those who advocate parents keeping unsolicited advice to an absolute minimum, but what do ya do with gramma? We have one gram who starts the second the umpire says “Play ball”, and doesn’t stop, ever. It’s not so bad when she sits a ways away from me, but here lately she’s been sitting close enough to touch and it’s been awful.

What makes it bad is she’s always positive and sincerely trying to help, but it’s not happening. And who wants to tell a 74YO grandmother she can’t root for her grandson and his friends?

I am embarrassed to say my mom is like this at my nephews' games, but it's not always positive cheering. She's never been quiet, but she had a stroke 4 years ago which affected her "filter" so she skews negative now. It was REALLY bad that first year as they adjusted her meds. Travel coach had to talk to my sister because Mom would loudly say negative stuff about the kids and parents were complaining. It was mortifying. Sis even had to throw Mom out of a game that year. She's gotten a little better, but we have to constantly remind her to chill out. I refuse to sit near her. My sis is too nice to ban her from the games; I would've already done so.