Skip to main content

Reply to "Dad, it doesn't help...."

FriarFred posted:
2017LHPscrewball posted:

My younger kid is always asking "How did I do?" and I am convinced that he already knows the correct answer.  With that said, I don't want to blow smoke and, when appropriate, I point out mistakes and he then explains the why and the where.  Some times I do get to simply say "Great!", but I feel as though I have to be honest when he asks.  Main problem is probably that he asks when he has done great or not so great - if only he would sulk in silence I would be off the hook.

On a related note, he loves to get better so I find myself making comments about minor improvements.  Things like fielding and perhaps getting into a little better position to throw - really little things that could add up eventually.  I think he likes these comments, but I sometimes fear that I come across as a little picky.  He seems a little more resilient than my older kid (who would sulk quietly) so I guess he doesn't see me as some jerk who only points out the negatives.

2017 - I think that is great that your son is asking.  A great opportunity to have an open ended discussion might be to say "How do you think you did?" and let him go on about what he liked or didnt like about his game.  I think that is a wonderful way to have an open dialog without judgement and still be able to discuss the game and have a real conversation about it.

"How did I do?"

"Did you have fun?"