Skip to main content

Reply to "Dicey rules question"

army54 posted:

WOW! Semi finals elimination game in GA. Bottom of the 7th game tied 3-3. The bases are loaded and batter draws a walk and game appears to be won. Runner from third advances and touches home, batter runner touches first base. The runner from second fails to touch third base. Defensive coach appeals to umpire and the run is disallowed. Under appeal at GHSA and will be decided this morning if  team appeal will be successful. My instinct tells me that since first and home were touched and bases were awarded, I think ruling on the field may be incorrect, but we will see what GHSA does.

Per 2012 NFHS Rules Interp:

SITUATION 18: In the bottom of the eighth inning, the score is tied, with the bases loaded and two outs. B6 draws a walk and runs and touches first base. B1 trots in from third and touches home plate. B2, however, begins celebrating and never touches third base. RULING: All runners must legally touch the next base in advancing. If the defense legally appeals while at least one umpire is still on the field of play, B2 is declared out for the third out. Since this out would be a “force” out, no runs would score and the game would continue into the ninth inning. (8-2-1, 8-2-6j, 9-1-1a and d)

Umpires got it correct as long as GHSA uses NFHS rules.

You are thinking of the OBR rule which only requires the batter reach first and the runner reach home on an award.