Skip to main content

Reply to "Did my son's coach cross a line?"

CollegeParentNoMore posted:

"I'm sure many will find offense to this but one approach is to ask the coach if he does lessons on the side.  It's a good way to begin a conversation with him and develop a relationship.  I never asked my son's coaches a single question other than what time should I be there to cook at the concession stand.  It's a totally different relationship though when it comes to the coaches we hire for lessons.

Whether or not he offers private lessons, it will demonstrate your son's desire to improve and changes the dynamic between he and his coach.  "

Yeah, I would not agree with that action plan for several reasons.  1. Nothing worse then other parents thinking you are buying your son playing time. 2.  Lets the coach think he's getting through to your son in a not so acceptable manner.  3. Its likely the coach doesn't know squat about catching and will damage your son's development.  Note, there are few college coaches, let alone HS JV coaches that really know how to coach "up" catchers. 4. He shouldn't waste his time with a guy who apparently isn't coaching him to begin with, he should find someone that knows what they are doing and has an interest in helping your son....whether paid or not. 

To OP you will need to bite the bullet and find a way for your son to get better in spite of the coach.  The truly great players don't get down over stuff like this, instead they use it to get better.  

I can agree with number 3.  Even a coach who knows catching may not be an effective coach.  Last year, my son played on a team that had a catcher as the head coach.  Was excited since my son was a catcher and thought he'd learn a lot.  He turned out to be a hot head and not a very effective coach or teacher.  He was especially hard on my son when he made mistakes.  My son became hesitant and tightened up in games, afraid to make mistakes.  Of course, that led to mistakes, so I totally understand where BJE is coming from when he mentioned his son's play was effected by the coach's decisions.  Our problem was solved when this coach got himself into trouble and someone else had to step in.  Was a much improved player the remainder of the year.  This gave my son the confidence to believe more in himself.