Skip to main content

Reply to "Did my son's coach cross a line?"

Hi BJE - welcome to the site. Like most forums you get an interesting mix of context in replies. I hope you are able to find some helpful informaiton.

Here are some thoughts:

In all the review of this situation take out your assessment of your sons ability, game performance and playing time.  As a parent our assessment in these areas is just not relevant.  

This leaves the coaches management of the players and specifically your son.  The demeaning of your son in front of the team is not ok but could be part of this coaches style.  Generally there is a team parent that is a bit of the lead and if you can have a confidential conversation to get some perspective I would recommend starting there.

Most of our players will be told before they are 38 that they are done playing competitive ball.  This is the opportunity to assist your son in learning how to advocate for himself, learn and deal with difficult authority.  One perspective is to have your son have a conversation with the coach about his personal game.  Something like, I hear you say these things and I want to improve my game can you help me focus on the most important things I can do between now and ....  

Lastly, coaches need to be accountable and while I do believe that parents should not speak to coaches about their players game there is a point to assist but until your player goes to the coach with a thoughtful and focused appeal as a parent a great focus is on your player and supporting him.

Good luck! It's a beautiful and tough game.  My son is only a couple years ahead but I am so thankful he loves the game as it has provided amazing opportunities to parent and teach him about becoming a great human.

Last edited by biggestfan2018