Skip to main content

Reply to "Did my son's coach cross a line?"

CaCO3Girl posted:

My son is the same age, and I understood your story perfectly.  At this age the coaches will bat the best 9 and if that means your kid is DH'd, oh well, it happens.  The kid doesn't like it, and doesn't think it is fair, but it's the coaches call.

Calling your kid out in front of team, that is what some coaches do to motivate or to just be a jerk, but nothing your kid can do about it.

I would NEVER ask if he teaches lessons that's a punk little league move and total BS. It comes down to can your kid earn his spot...maybe he can and maybe he can't. 

I'm not saying a rising 10th grader should be as good as a senior but if he's having this much trouble on the HS team what is Travel Ball saying? Does he play for a high level team?  Is he a high level catcher?  Is the HS coach trying to tell him something about his skill at THAT position?

Regarding the bolded...

The OP states that the coach is a varsity HS catching coach.  There is likely a reason the guy is the catching coach.  If it turns out he is, in fact, qualified, why the heck would you not want to include him as a possible resource if you are an aspiring catcher?   I strongly encourage the players in our program to find the best resources to become the best player they can be.  I tell them that this may be private instructors, training facilities, qualified dads or coaches from our own V and JV staff, depending on their specialty.  Myself and some of my other coaches have spent countless hours with players individually outside of our HS practices.  It has paid off for many.  At the end of the day, they know perfectly well that this will not put them in any sort of favor in regards to earning a spot in the lineup.  But the work will sure give them a better chance.  

I really don't understand why this is a punk little league move or total BS.  

Additionally ... it has become very clear over the years, the players that put in the extra work, whether with us or elsewhere, are always the players that ultimately rise to the top.  Often times, that extra work is readily available "close to home".