Skip to main content

Reply to "Difference in Philosophys"

Stats4Gnats posted:

ironhorse posted: Because some decisions simply have to be subjective. That's the nature of decision making sometimes.

Which is exactly why there are so many problems with parents or players questioning why they don’t get the same opportunities as someone else. When you say the best 9 players will be on the field but you refuse to say how you come up with the best, to me it’s either being disingenuous or being afraid to tell the truth for fear of controversy.

I get your point, but I think that a lot of coaches (at least around here) don't refuse to say how they come up with it, it just not something easily defined. It is literally for me a case by case, kid by kid basis, i.e. why is this kid at SS, why is this kid in CF, why is the freshman playing over the junior, etc. I have concrete reasons for all of that and I clearly explain them to the kids, and at times to the parents. 

I think making it as simple as disingenuous or afraid is dumbing it down too much. You want to make it objective as possible, of course, but in this game it is never truly all objective.

The bigger piece of the puzzle to me about why there are "so many problems with parents and players" is that you're trying to demand the coach be objective about who plays, when there is approximately a 99% chance the parent isn't able to do the same thing. I say this from experience.