Skip to main content

Reply to "Difference in Philosophys"

Stats4Gnats posted:

ironhorse posted: Because some decisions simply have to be subjective. That's the nature of decision making sometimes.

Which is exactly why there are so many problems with parents or players questioning why they don’t get the same opportunities as someone else.

It's my opinion that this is more of a reflection of the current structure in baseball.  Pay to play that is travel baseball has created the entitlement mentality.  Topped off by current funding in public schools that requires the continued financial support from the players parents.  Unlike 20 yrs ago, where all but the very few elite players were conditioned to the process of growing (sitting the bench) a year or two through rec as they aged into their division.   They went through this process two or three times before ever getting to HS.  Now every player entering HS for the most part has had a significant role on every team through youth.  IE players and parents don't know how to handle being the second or third guy on the depth chart.  They have no experience in the process and don't trust that they will get their shot.  The lack of trust than gets thrown at the coach.

20 years ago HS coaches never had to address this issue.  Kids came home and told their parents I am not getting much playing time, parents said work harder! Your a freshman on JV, keep putting your time in and trust you will get your shot.  

When you say the best 9 players will be on the field but you refuse to say how you come up with the best, to me it’s either being disingenuous or being afraid to tell the truth for fear of controversy.

The best 9 players or criteria are almost never the same and the variables are many.  Depending on the goal of the game, season, time in the season, opponent, and etc etc etc.  You can't expect the coach to need to communicate his every decision and you have to accept/trust he his trying to do what is best for the team, program, and than last but not least your son.    

I was just discussing this with my brother the other day.  When he went into college his freshman year, he only got spot time during the fall.  Never started and seemed to be way down on the depth chart.  He was one of those elite players that NEVER sat going through youth and HS sports.  He was ticked and didn't know how to handle.  All but threw in the towel thinking he was getting the shaft.  Come to find out all but a few of those Fall starting players got cut.  That was this coaches way of determining who could play from his B list.  Players that the coach was confident in didn't get much playtime because he already knew they were capable.  It was also a way for the coach to see who was willing to fight to get on the field.  What players from the bench (coaches A list players) would put in the extra work to earn playtime.  My brother was only in school for baseball.  When he thought he wasn't getting his shot he all but blew off classes and stopped working on his game.  When he found out he made the spring roster it was to late and he dropped out of school.

Two years later he walked on to another school and made the spring roster but never became an impact player.  He blew his shot and regrets it today.  

My point being you have to trust the coach is making the best decisions for the team, program, and the player even if you don't see how it.  The only thing you should be worried about is how to get better (in the coaches eyes) and trust you will be an asset.  

If the coach thinks swinging for the fences is the best than you better work on swinging for the fences.