Skip to main content

Reply to "Distance Between Home and College"

FriarFred posted:

I think this is really an interesting topic.  So other than top programs (Vandy for example), how much of this is driven by recruiting budgets (or lack there of) as well as financial constraints of families to travel outside close geographic region.  I think you also have to factor in population density (such as JCG pointed out with Cali kids at UCLA and Cal) and number of colleges in those locations etc.  Could break this down in many different ways but is interesting for sure. 

Yeah, Fred, there are lots of good past threads on this.  I'll try to summarize.  Of course, in-state and neighboring tuition are the biggy.  College coaches being able to actually see the recruits more than once and otherwise become familiar with them via area coaches, scouts, instructors is another.  Kids wanting to stay reasonably close to home due to ability to come home for holidays, meals, laundry, etc, having HS friends that will also go to the college, grew up rooting for/familiar with the in-state colleges, social and climate comfort, logistical and financial inability to get to schools for visits prior to committing, etc.  I'll add another of my own that I haven't heard here before - the tendency to wait too long to pick a direction, therefore taking the path of least resistance.

High academic privates (like Vany) tend to be the exception since there is no difference in tuition (in-state vs out-of-state) and the value of the academics makes it worth while.  The other exception, of course, is when a really good player is recruited by a really good baseball program.