Skip to main content

Reply to "Distance from Home"

keewart posted:
baseballmom posted:

Keewart said..."When I saw him walk to the plate I....could....not....breathe."

Man, have we ALL been THERE!   Nervous as a cat in a room full of rockers! In my case, it was the mound, too...But, it usually all worked out. 

I am not sure I"got comfortable" until mid-sophomore year. 

I really don't know how you pitcher parents do it.

With a few years perspective I can laugh at myself, but I can really identify with this.

In my son's case it wasn't even college. Not even high school.  I hate to admit it, but it was 14U summer ball. 

He was playing in a PG tourney for the first time. His team was the first at that age level for a local showcase program. Originally he was brought onto the team to be a catcher who could also eat some innings on the mound  if necessary.

The game was being played in the stadium at Terry Park, which feels like playing in Yankee Stadium when all you have as a comparison is the local rec field.

They are playing a highly ranked team out of Texas.  Their pitcher is a 6'5 lefty. Our pitcher is a 6'3 lefty. (at 14 mind you) Game is tied 1-1 after 5.

I knew our coach wouldn't let a kid go more than 5 so a new pitcher would be coming in for the 6th.  As the sides change, who do I see jogging to the mound? My kid.

I'm sure this has to be a mistake. There has got to be another guy they can send in right? Nope, he's warming up. 

Crap. This is a big stage. This is a big (although empty) stadium. This is a good team. There are literally a dozen people watching. How am I supposed to handle this?

I seriously thought I was going to throw up.

I can laugh about it now, but then I just didn't know any better. I literally felt like he was taking the mound in game 7 of the world series.