Skip to main content

Reply to "Distance from Home"

MidAtlanticDad posted:
ILVBB posted:

My son went to a boys Catholic HS. It had a long reputation of strong baseball teams and a very stable and respected coaching staff.

There was no parent meeting, no communications, just a notice for tryouts. However, part of that notice was the communication from the coaches that they did not want to talk with the parents about baseball. They made it clear that the only discussions that they wanted with the parents was about our son's welfare and the weather. 

That description of your son's high school is 100% the same as my son's, right down to the religious affiliation.

My wife and I were out to dinner last summer and I spied my 2015 son's high school coach at a table with his family as we were being seated. I made a side trip for a drive-by hello and handshake. When I got to the table my wife asked why I wasn't behind her. I told her that I had to say hello to Coach on the way. She immediately picked up on my grin and asked, "He had no idea who you were, did he?" Nope, I said with pride. Son was a 3 year varsity starter.

Yeah, ILVBB and Mid, we run things in a similar fashion (we do have a parent meeting but all other communication is through the players, we have built a successful, stable program) but I can usually make it to the parent meeting in February before having to lay out the guidelines to the new parents...  been doing so successfully for going on ten years now with just the occasional inquiry prior to that meeting.   The stories I could tell you from this year's incoming group would absolutely blow you away.

I do realize that, in part, it is a good thing.  We have steadily grown interest in our program and more young players are, in turn, seeking out more playing opportunities outside of just the school/Babe Ruth/youth rec season.  Also, there is a particularly challenging scenario for this year's newcomers - we have the majority of our V and JV players returning.  From what I gather, there is a buzz of concern among the newcomers and parents as they "do the numbers".   But, it's still crazy.  The travel ball mentality is permeating in a big way.  Sorry, back to the OP...