Skip to main content

Reply to "Distance from Home"

MidAtlanticDad posted:
old_school posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:
ILVBB posted:

That description of your son's high school is 100% the same as my son's, right down to the religious affiliation.

My wife and I were out to dinner last summer and I spied my 2015 son's high school coach at a table with his family as we were being seated. I made a side trip for a drive-by hello and handshake. When I got to the table my wife asked why I wasn't behind her. I told her that I had to say hello to Coach on the way. She immediately picked up on my grin and asked, "He had no idea who you were, did he?" Nope, I said with pride. Son was a 3 year varsity starter.

I don't know that I consider this to be a good thing, I mean maybe I am a small town guy but I can't imagine being the coach of HS program and not knowing the face of a 3 year starter parent. Full disclosure our HS has 600 grads per grade so it isn't a small school. I understand the separation of player/coach, I am not buddies with our HS coach at all but my son was a 3 year starter and the coach knew who I was during his freshman year before he played varsity.

I mean there off season works outs, fund raisers, booster clubs, team banquets...I just think there is room between being over bearing and involved. Hell my sons college coach knows who the parents are of most of his team...and he has a relationship with none of them that I am aware of.

Yes, I understand this might not make sense for everyone, but it does for me. My son's HC has won 10 state championships. Some kids choose the school at least in part to play baseball. Every year the coach has a bunch of parents who aren't happy with their kid getting cut, playing time, position, spot in the order, etc, etc. He had people trying to talk to him after games, hanging next to the dugout during games, making comments from the stands, sending emails, sending their kid to his office to talk... you name it. I thought the program made it crystal clear that none of this behavior was appropriate, but people did it anyway.
After 20 years of this, Coach was not looking to make friends with any new parents. (He wasn't a friendly guy to begin with.) The only time I ever saw the guy was at a pre-season parents meeting, an annual banquet/fundraiser and at baseball games. He obviously didn't want to be at the first two. Other than a handshake on Senior Day, I pretty much left him alone. My contribution to his sanity.
FWIW, he does know my wife. She helped organize some team activities that required his ok. (The fact that she's an attractive woman may have also figured into it.)

LOL I have no doubt an active mom who is easy on the eyes will be remembered...the man is human after all!!

Fair enough, I actually know they exact type of guy you are referring to. A fine coach no doubt but it seems like rotten way to go through life IMO but I get it now.