Skip to main content

Reply to "Do Kids Change?"

quote:
Originally posted by 08Dad:
I'd have to say that kids do change - and those that don't simply leave the game.

One area that I have been informally asking about over the years has been the progression of kids from 12 Year old all star teams to High school rosters. It started because I, like many other youth baseball managers, heard the refrain from parents whose kids did not make the allstar team or who sat the bench on the all star team that "their baseball lives are over". So I thought I would ask around to see what really happens.

So I asked the basic question - how many kids from the 12 year old all star team from your son's 12 year old year are playing baseball as Freshman in high school? And how many freshman did not make their all star team - but are still playing now?

The average response is roughly 50% of 12 year old all stars are still playing 3 years later. And >50% of the freshman did not make the all star team.

So can kids change? Absolutely. They are going through "THE CHANGE" from 12-15 - and many of them emerge on the other side as very different athletes - and baseball players.

Do they continue to change? Absolutely - those who work at their games continue to grow - and those who don't fall by the wayside.

BTW - of my son's 12 YO team, 4 of 12 will play as Seniors. The rest have moved on to other things.

My son's LL all-star team was very successful. The journey didn't end until they met up with a team that proceeded to the LLWS. Two years later heading into high school there are four high school prospects from that team. It's the same four I listed when they were twelve. They're the four who have baseball instincts, baseball athleticism and the passion for the game. Of the other eight, seven are high school prospects in some sport, just not baseball. We had eight players who could outmuscle the LL field and/or out run it. But their lack of solid baseball mechanics was noticeable to a trained eye.

Going back to my LL days, four from my LL all-star team played high school baseball. Two played college ball. Once again most of the rest were athletes, but not baseball players. An overweight, clumsy kid who didn't make all-stars became a 6'4", 240 90+ throwing MLB pitcher.

At any level there is going to be a certain amount in innate skill getting the player to that level, or the opportunity to play at that level. Some players are so gifted they can't help themselves and will succeed unless they mentally and/or emotionally screw up. Others will succeed because they did the hard work they had to do to seperate themselves from the pack. And then there are those who will hit the wall at some level.

When I hear about kids with the same weaknesses they've always had, I see kids who didn't have the passion and drive to put in the work to become better players.
Last edited by TG