Skip to main content

Reply to "Does Crossover Symmetry increase velo?"

Matt Parsons posted:

I sit at 79 and touch 80 every once in awhile. I just bought the individual crossover Symmetry package and I was wondering that if I followed all of the workout plans every day, as well as long toss, will I see a jump in my velo? I’m currently a sophomore in high school right now (15 years old). I made the varsity team freshman year and pitched well, but the older kids are starting to catch on to my speed.

I question whether any post that is allegedly from a HS player is actually from a HS player.  Regardless, here is some food for thought.  Band work should be a part of every pitchers daily routine. The bands you purchased are fine and using them regularly will strengthen the rotator cuff - which will greatly reduce the chance of injury.  You don't want to long toss every day. Mix in some drill work. Regarding the velo - success at 79 mph can have a lot to do with the fact that it is below bat speed.  As you get older and stronger, and velo goes up, you may get hit harder for a time.  This happens to a lot of pitchers and you have to battle thru it.  Hitting is all about timing, therefore pitching is all about upsetting a hitters timing.  IMO the best way to upset timing is to change speeds. So, as velo increases to 80 - 84 (and you become more hittable) you need to become more adept at changing speeds.  This will make you a better pitcher in the long run anyway. You should spend as much time working on your change up as you spend trying to throw harder - and you want a minimum of 10 mph differential between fastball and change up.  Think about learning to pitch better as much as you think about trying to throw harder.