Skip to main content

Reply to "Dose of reality? Or is their hope?"

I get it...your kid has been one of the best in baseball for awhile.  Now you are trying to figure out if you need to count baseball among the long term goals and plans you have for your son now that he isn't one of the best, or at least in your eyes.

Let's face it, some of us are blessed with ivy league kids that could talk circles around their parents, and some of us are blessed with knuckleheads.  When my son was 13 I asked him if he had given any thought to which college he wanted to go to.  He asked me which one we were zoned for...as in he was zoned for his High School based on where we lived, so which college were we zoned for?  I have severe worries over that boy.

Now DadOF3, the bottom line is, it is too soon to tell.  When they were younger there were always those 2-3 kids on a team of 12 that played every inning and were just leaps and bounds better than the rest.  In High school it's more like 18 out of 22 are the best, and maybe you have one super star.  The ability gap gets tighter the higher up you go.  The bottom 8 or so of that 12 kid team don't play anymore, and two of the good kids now only play football.  Competition the older you get is fierce. 

However, I say again, too soon to tell anything.  For now let him play on the best team he can, sounds like he is, and let him have fun.  He will either rise to the top or he will eventually find a nitch position like catcher or pitcher that is specialized, or he will drop the sport.  It is what it is, and only time will tell.  The one thing I know for sure is that that determination MUST come from him if he is going to stay in the sport.  Nothing to loose sleep over because it has nothing to do with you and the only way YOU can affect his passion and drive is by killing it.