Skip to main content

Reply to "Dose of reality? Or is their hope?"

RJM posted:
hshuler posted:

Here in GA (before PG was fully on the scene) we played about 75% of our 13U season at 54/80 and the other 25% at 60/90.

A few have said that the game speeds up at 60/90 but that wasn’t our experience. It was very, very slow and boring. There were also a lot more arm issues when we transitioned to the big field. Kids also struggled to throw strikes with the ten foot  jump in distance. The 54/80 (bridge field) was a lot more challenging and played much faster for the kids. 

We then played all 60/90 at 14U and I don’t believe that kids who played all 60/90 at 13U gained any sort of advantage over kids who didn’t. 

I thought 13u (USSSA majors) was slow motion baseball. 13u was acclimation to the full size field. It was 14u where the game really sped up. My team had grown and was big except my son and one other kid. Six kids were throwing 80 or better. 

Yep. There were a handful of kids who could throw 80 at 13U and they were very hittable from a 60’6”. 80 from 54’ was firm and more challenging. 

I wont even get into trying to hit 80 from 50’. There’s a dad on this forum who’s kid was 85 at 12U/50’. #NOTFAIR