Skip to main content

Reply to "Dropping ball on purpose to get a double play"

Different topic, but on Sunday in my son's D1 game.....bases loaded, 2 outs.   Pop up in the IF between 3B and SS.  Shortstop is camped under it...going to be an easy play.   From somewhere....either umpire or otherwise we hear "infield fly, batter's out".   Keep in mind I am down the RF line probably 50-60' past 1B....and I clearly hear it...as did the guy next to me.  Sounded like it came directly from the home plate ump....but no way to be sure.  We thought maybe visiting team (3B dugout) said it....but ump didn't say anything to them after the play.  Only other possibility was a visiting fan (there were about 4) in the 3B bleachers.   Asked son about it after the game.  He was in 1B dugout....said he didn't hear it, but that SS did as he was waiting for ball to come down.       No, I can't tell you what happened....we never found out where the call came from.   Just another odd situation in what has become a very long, drug out season for the kid.  3 more games this weekend and it's off to summer league...and getting back to some fun on the diamond