Skip to main content

Reply to "football and baseball senior year?"

Goblue33 posted:

This is a topical thread for me.   We are trying to determine if we continue with football.   He is the fastest kid on the team and the best hitter, as evidenced by the fact that he's a gunner and linebacker/FS and has the best 40 and 100 times.   On offense they put him on the line (GUARD)  even though he's build more like a baseball player, lanky and thinner but muscular.  50 pounds lighter than any of the other O lineman.  Although he's not even a Junior, my wife and I started to discuss whether it makes sense to play baseball, and if so what position is safest for our boys.    I just think being an undersized lineman pulling a lot is recipe for hand, arm and knee injuries and probably not worth it for a kid who will have D1 offers (or so we are told).   Would line be better or worse for baseball player than end, back qb etc?  Anyone have an opinion on this? 

I may have read that last sentence incorrectly, but BACKUP QB is in fact the best position for a baseball player.  That is assuming the starting QB is tough and the offense line is solid - and they don't run the option too often.

But seriously, a pulling guard had better be light on his feet when the defensive guys start falling close by and start rolling around on the ground.  Does the school require all lineman to wear knee braces?