Skip to main content

Reply to "football and baseball senior year?"

Just went through this with my 2017.  He was starting QB/DE and uncommitted during the season.  It worked out great.  Ended up committing to a D2 after football season ended.  For him, it was a relief to not focus on recruiting for baseball.  He just played football and had fun.  His college baseball coach liked the fact that he played other sports.  Ended up being recruited for football and basketball as well, but decided to play baseball in college.  It was nice for him to not worry about the recruiting process during that time.  

Try not to forget that these are kids still able to play a game with their friends.  Most will never be able to play sports like this ever again, especially with the friends they've grown up with.  It seems too often that I read posts were us well meaning parents (myself included) forget this.  Have faith in whatever your son decides.  I had the same concerns you did.  Because he didn't have much time due to practice and such.  I helped out however I could.  I was also an assistant football coach, like you (defensive coordinator) and had the same thoughts as you do at the time.  

Of course, everyone's situation is different.  Just my experience.  For us, the work was already done to this point.  He played in the tournaments and attended the showcases before his senior year.  There wasn't too much left to do other than wait.  It was just a matter of time / correct placement.  Good luck to you and your son and hopefully the decision you make works out for you.