Skip to main content

Reply to "football and baseball senior year?"

coachld posted:

Just curious to find out if there are others out there who have son that decided he wanted to finish out football and play senior season despite making decision to hopefully play college baseball and being in the middle of trying to find a baseball home? Definitely adds a little stress on several fronts but some how we are finding a way to make it all work. Ironically, I am also one of the asst football coaches but made it absolutely clear that I would have no problem if he decided to not play. I actually would have preferred he did not play football and even hinted at that but let the decision up to him. Anyone else going through or been through similar situation?

My son went through this a couple of years ago. Nagging knee injury (PCL) junior year baseball. Tried to get recruited on one leg all summer. Had to change positions from C to 1B, and D1 interest faded. Knee started to heal up in September and he had to chose between hitting the recruiting circuit hard, and quitting football and soccer (kicker/punter/goalkeeper/captain). He never even considered the later, and I didn't try to influence him in either direction. He finished with all-state football and all-conference soccer awards, and loved every minute of it. He would have played basketball, too, but the ortho read him the riot act.

To me it was a blessing in disguise. The only colleges who wanted him at that point were D3 schools who considered him to be a D1 prospect who had fallen through the cracks. They showed the love, and he ended up with a great fit at a perennial top 25 baseball school. This year as a sophomore he made 1st team all-conference and was one win away from a trip to the D3 CWS.

Yes, it's definitely harder to get recruited for baseball senior year while playing football, but it can be done and it can work out well. I think most kids want to play at the highest level possible, and that's a good competitive attitude, but there's also something to be said for playing at a level where you can excel. Circumstances help decide that for every individual. Good luck.