Skip to main content

Reply to "football and baseball senior year?"

"Yet, this "fall of junior year" is supposed to be important for baseball recruiting. "

MomLW, I would support viewing this type of "hype" within the context of your son playing football.  Ours did not attempt any type of baseball exposure activity during football season.  There are mental reasons and physical reasons. Being really honest, I tend to think the vast majority of  2 sport athletes would not be able to play a football game on Friday and be baseball ready on Saturday. Even if our son's could do this, we would still need to consider they are back in HS and on a football field on Monday.

The other thing to keep in mind is not all "exposure" can be good exposure.  Expecting our sons to be baseball ready for a showcase on Saturday after football game on Friday night and driving all night, to me at least, could set our son up for "exposure" which isn't good for them or representative of his ability as a potential baseball recruit.

Your son still has his junior season in baseball and the Summer after his junior year to showcase and excel when his focus is on baseball. If he is a solid recruit, he can be seen by plenty of very good schools and programs.

Clearly, I don't know your son, his physical stature or his ability as a baseball player. I can only measure this in the context of our son and others who were 2 sport guys.  My question is whether it is truly realistic (or necessary as a junior in HS)  to think a son can compete in football at the highest level on Friday night and again the following morning and for2 days, but in baseball?

I fully realize you are thinking of this in terms of the exposure being successful.  My candid question is whether that is truly realistic? I wish the very, very best for your son and hope my comments are received in the vein they are offered.