Skip to main content

Reply to "football and baseball senior year?"

Thanks Coach,

Sounds like your son has truly gone through a baseball and non-baseball transformation.  Please don't think I am a skeptic by asking some questions. I am only trying to balance what I know is the thrill and excitement with some hard reality our sons find on a college baseball field.

After reading your post, my core question is whether  your son can truly compete at the levels which are now starting to open up to him based on what I assume are velocity changes and bullpens. Can he get  get outs against very high level competition, which it sounds like he never faced before this very recent development. Have you or your son watched the Power 5 in action and see what level of production and success is "demanded" to get innings

In my view and experience, it isn't who likes your son, it is where can your son get on the mound, get outs and succeed, if he has not experienced that environment before.

I know it can happen and will use Chris Lambert (from a few years back) as an example.  Chris did quite well at BC after being discovered very late (late into the Summer before college started..he was actually going to play hockey before pitching got in the way). I also know of players/pitchers who got overwhelmed at the college level in somewhat similar situations.

While I can appreciate the thrill and emotions of the things opening up to your son, the contrast of what can be harsh reality in college baseball is a major factor to consider. I don't clearly have an answer but would ask and that is whether  your son is physically and more importantly mentally and emotionally ready to commit and then  succeed at levels which it sounds like could be quite new to him?

Good luck! Hope I am helping. I really am cheering for you and your son!

Last edited by infielddad