Skip to main content

Reply to "Grades, ACT, financial aid?"

Goosegg posted:

"If a kids math tests were 98, 92, 100; I would ask he be moved up, but if his test scores are 59, 87, 72..etc, I would not arbitrarily put him in AP Math because I thought it was what was best for him."

Agreed. But, I'd also try to figure out why the scores were so low: LD, poor math foundation, remedial with some tutoring, poor study skills, didn't do homework, skipped class, etc.?  If his scores equaled his potential, you can't squeeze more ; if not it's time to learn how to reach his potential.

"How is that different than that 15 year old playing baseball because dad wants him to play, not because he enjoys it?"

No 15 yr old should be playing because a parent wants him to play; but, if it's [something] or hanging out watching CSI, then he will be playing/studying [something]. Moreover, not playing baseball is inconsequential over the next 40 years; not being able to read or do math has huge consequences.

And we have circled back to what is special?  So if my kid isn't getting A's I should assume there is something wrong with him?