Skip to main content

Reply to "Grades, ACT, financial aid?"

"we have circled back to what is special? So if my kid isn't getting A's I should assume there is something wrong with him?"

I wouldn't assume anything without knowing the facts. Those facts include speaking with the teachers to learn their opinions, going on-line daily (if your school allows it) to monitor homework assignments and grades, speaking with the school guidance counselor about possible LD issues, figuring out whether and how study habits can be improved, etc. I would seek to ascertain why the grades are not better (again, if a kid is working to his potential, that's all you can do; if not, there is a lot which can - and should - be done) do what is needed to get him engaged. (I was a terrible HS student; looking back, it was because my parents were totally unengaged - no one pushing or explaining why to do better. It took me until my junior year in college - after I had dropped out for five years - to figure it out. From that point on academics were easy. I guess it was my fault it took so long to get the motor going; but I had no clue how everything would fit together.)

In short, personally I would scratch and burrow until I was satisfied that the kid was leaving no stone unturned.  He can't do anything beyond that.