Skip to main content

Reply to "Grades, ACT, financial aid?"

Gov posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
Goosegg posted:

"If a kids math tests were 98, 92, 100; I would ask he be moved up, but if his test scores are 59, 87, 72..etc, I would not arbitrarily put him in AP Math because I thought it was what was best for him."

Agreed. But, I'd also try to figure out why the scores were so low: LD, poor math foundation, remedial with some tutoring, poor study skills, didn't do homework, skipped class, etc.?  If his scores equaled his potential, you can't squeeze more ; if not it's time to learn how to reach his potential.

"How is that different than that 15 year old playing baseball because dad wants him to play, not because he enjoys it?"

No 15 yr old should be playing because a parent wants him to play; but, if it's [something] or hanging out watching CSI, then he will be playing/studying [something]. Moreover, not playing baseball is inconsequential over the next 40 years; not being able to read or do math has huge consequences.

And we have circled back to what is special?  So if my kid isn't getting A's I should assume there is something wrong with him?

Nobody even suggests this.  My 2016 was a B student, few A's and few C's early on while he was trying to figure out how to study.  He was challenged.  He's a freshman at Auburn electing not to play ball at Creighton.  He's happy, he's involved, he gets along with people very well, he had a B avg first semester.  He'll do well in life.  He took 2 years of wood shop - loved it.  He can fix things if he needs to...  his interest is business analytics, if he changes his mind, so what.

we challenged him, he's challenged himself, not an Ivy track, so what, that wasn't him anyway. He's on his path with lots of options.  If he kicked ass in the classroom over the next three years he'll have more options.  Up to him now.  We provided him  a life toolset.

Ugh, you had me so with you with the he's happy, he's involved, he gets along with people, he has a B average...that is a wonderful place for your kid to be in!  Then you said he would have more options if he kicked ass in the classroom over the next 3 years and you lost me.

When I graduated college one job that I applied for asked for my transcripts, ONE. It didn't matter if I had a 2.0 GPA or a 4.0 GPA, all that mattered was that I had a piece of paper saying I completed the requirements to graduate.  I didn't get that job, lol, but I have still done very well for myself.  There are always other paths, the most important thing is the degree.

I work with a lady who takes away her kids computer if he brings home less than a 90, I don't get that way of life.  So much hostility and anger in a relationship just can't be good.  Could the kid possibly have done better, maybe, is it worth the relationship with the child, I don't think so.

I sincerely believe that Academics and baseball are parallel discussions.  There is a top 1% and they are locked to get whatever they want.  But the majority of people who play baseball and go to school are in fact, by definition, average.  The amount of people who believe their children MUST enroll in honors and AP courses to attend college is staggering. I just didn't want this thread to perpetuate that rumor.