Skip to main content

Reply to "Grades, ACT, financial aid?"

"When I graduated college one job that I applied for asked for my transcripts, ONE. It didn't matter if I had a 2.0 GPA or a 4.0 GPA, all that mattered was that I had a piece of paper saying I completed the requirements to graduate. I didn't get that job, lol, but I have still done very well for myself. There are always other paths, the most important thing is the degree."

I have (had) two kids in a great school; I have neices and nephews who graduated from state schools near the top of their class; my wife and I finished back in the day near the top of our grad school classes (one state, one private). Now, maybe because of the school, the employers, or the ranking, but every one of my interviews, my wife's interviews, my kids interviews (for internships and for real jobs), my neices and nephews interviews involved passing the first "cut" - which was totally based upon a piece of paper. That paper had work experience and grades; heck many employers won't even interview unless you're in at least a certain section of the class.

Now, as a businessman who hired essentially unskilled workers for 25 years, a resume and/or transcript was worthless - I used my gut and an interview to do the first cut.

The difference is I pay minimum wage and all those referenced above got a bit more. 

Let me ask you this (no need to answer if it's too personal): is this your oldest boy?

Last edited by Goosegg