Skip to main content

Reply to "Grades, ACT, financial aid?"

CaCO3Girl posted:
Goosegg posted:

It is no secret that the tippy top schools require: near perfect grades, the MOST rigorous cirriculum offered at that HS, and top scores. (Not to fret if your HS doesn't offer 30 AP's; the measure is the hardest courses offered at your HS.)

During our tours, a constant question went something like this: "should I take an AP and make a B, or an honors class and make an A?"  The constant answer was: "take the AP and make an A." 

I have read all of this thread and I have to say it stinks. Let me be the bad guy and say I'd rather my kid play a sport, hang out with his friends and BE A KID than do 4 hours of homework a night so he can take the honors and AP courses and have a "challenging" schedule.  You know what is challenging?  Being a kid in a society that wants them all to be little grown ups.

Off to tell my kid to load up on Phys ed and Wood Shop....both of which will serve him FAR better in the future than AP Bio, which has no practical use in the real world unless you plan on pursing Biology.  I took AP Bio, I can't figure out how to fix the mail box, wood shop would have been handy right around now.

As I read through this post,  with these off the cuff remarks and back and forth jabs, I thought I was on Facebook.  

If you are in HS, you are a few years away from being a legal adult in this country.  IMO, as a parent, and not as my kid's best friend, I would want to challenge him.  Push him to be better. I wouldn't want him to hang out at the mall or play video games for 4 hours. Can he succeed at the next academic level?  Then take Honors or AP courses, don't settle for an easy grade.  This teaches him work ethic which will be valuable in baseball as well as in life.

If you are okay with your kid aspiring to be a gym teacher or work in construction than so be it, have him load up on Phys Ed and Wood Shop.  It seems you find fixing the mail box more important than understanding the human body, whether it is in an AP or a regular bio class.

Nothing wrong with a gym teacher or to work in construction, but don't expect 6 figure salaries and the same chances in life as others that have applied themselves.  

Wait... Hmm, I just described millennials.  Young adults now a days that feel they are entitled to everything even though they haven't put in any work. Lol.