Skip to main content

Reply to "Great Camp...Now what?"

Midwest Mom posted:
#1 Assistant Coach posted:

Stand Up comedy and college baseball recruiting have one important thing in common, (pause)....................(wait for it)..........................(wait)............................TIMING!!!!!!!!

Matching a coach's timeline with yours is like cracking a safe code.  If it's not there, it's not there............at that moment, at least.  And you can't force it.  If it's not a chemistry issue, it may just be a timing issue.  That may be overcome by fate, or it may not.  

Fact: Son attended a college camp on September 4th his Jr. year.  He was finally offered by, and committed to that camp school on September 4th his Sr. year.  Exactly one year later.  

In the 365-days between camp and offer, son was offered by two other schools, committed to one of them, six months later decommitted and reopened his recruitment, attended some 15 more recruiting events (tournaments, camps, showcases, etc.) in the latter six months of that year looking for a new home. 

WESTCOASTPAPA, it was one year, to the day, after son left his camp that he was finally offered by the school. He accepted and heads there in July.  So relax, it could be a while!

Free advice: after every camp, tournament, showcase, email, etc., don't think too hard about it, just go on to the next one.  Keep.................showing................up.  

#1 Assistant, LOVE this advice of Keep Showing Up!  It's exhausting for the kids and for the parents too, but it's the process and the more you show up to the camps and showcases those target schools are at, the better.  I saw this for myself last week at Showball -- there were two coaches there who have seen my son 4 times and several others who have seen him 2-3 times -- they have a pretty good picture of his ability and consistency and even his personality.  He was approached by several of these for visits and had three calls this week.  I am not totally certain he would be in this spot if it were the first time they had all seen him.  Maybe, maybe not.

Good to hear Midwest Mom