Skip to main content

Reply to "Great Mantras"

Sorry mittman , but I don't like the second one. I don't think as a coach that we should suggest anything is boring. If you love the sport, even doing "find the 4 seam grip" 10000 times should not be boring.

I'm reminded of a player from before I started coaching telling me that he hated baseball practice. I knew the coach and the practices were nothing out of the ordinary. When asked why he hated practice he said"I just want to play games". This was a Varsity player. I told him maybe baseball wasn't his sport then. The next spring he went out for tennis and next was an all state tennis player who loved tennis. I know they did stuff that I would consider Boring in tennis practice.

Basketball Players dribble thousands of times a night=Boring. 50 free throws a night=boring. To me anyway. But not to the basketball player.

I say this because I am helping out with my sons 4th grade basketball team and one of the first things the head coach said was "You have to learn the boring stuff to be good." Wow! I thought, "He just told kids who were brand new to the sport(4th grade is when they start here)and all enthused about basketball that it's boring."

I would not suggest this is on the same level with "Just don't walk this guy". They both plant the seed.

Having said that. I did like and appreciate your ideas for group skill drills that you posted in the other post. I didn't mean to blast you here, it's just that sometimes we need to see another perspective.