Skip to main content

Reply to "Ground Rule"

FYI, just because it hits the roof, doesn't mean it's a dead ball. Here are the ground rules for Tropicana Field in Tampa.

Tropicana Field Ground Rule Particulars

CATWALKS, LIGHTS AND SUSPENDED OBJECTS:

Batted ball strikes catwalk, light or suspended object over fair territory

Batted ball that strikes either of the lower two catwalks (known as the 'C-Ring' and the 'D-Ring'), including any lights or suspended objects attached to either of those catwalks as well as any angled support rods that connect the 'C-Ring' to the masts that support the 'D-Ring' in fair territory: Home Run.

Batted ball that strikes either of the upper catwalks (known as the 'A-Ring' and the 'B-Ring'), including the masts that support each of those catwalks as well as any angled support rods that connect the 'B-Ring' to the masts that support the 'C-Ring' in fair territory: In Play. If caught by fielder, batter is out and runners advance at own risk.

Batted ball that is not judged a home run and remains on a catwalk, light or suspended object: Two Bases.

Batted ball strikes catwalk, light or suspended object over foul territory: Dead Ball.

-------------

That said, there isn't that much paperwork to do (if it was me, I would have sent him to the showers early). Only reason I can see him staying, the umpire told him to fix it.

Better luck next time.