Skip to main content

Reply to "Groundout % vs. Flyout %"

baseballpapa- No, I am not a power pitcher by any means. In fact, I am often the softest throwing pitcher on the team I'm on. Announcers often describe me as "the soft-tossing lefty that they seem to not be able to figure out" (That last part is included only on the occasion that I'm pitching well).

This summer my K/9 was 7.48. My sophomore year of college (my most recent year) it was 5.92. So I do occassionally strike guys out, but it's not because I blow them away with power stuff. Most of the time its an off speed pitch in the dirt, or a high fastball after consecutive curveballs, things like that.

My repertoire consists of both a 4-seamer and a 2-seamer (I use both often, and for different reasons throughout the game), a big curveball and a circle changeup. I've been working on a cutter in bullpens and it's been improving, but I want to continue to throw it during sides before I become comfortable enough to consistently use it in a game.

infielddad is right, I have been coming exclusively out of the bullpen. Although I have had extended outings several times through the order with various levels of success, I haven't been able to get an effective view of how hitters are able to adjust after seeing me, and therefore can't really answer that question.

I appreciate all the insight from everyone, and have taken everything into account. Keep the discussion coming, please. I believe that any piece of advice should be thought out, analyzed, and tried before coming to a conclusion. A lot of opinions I see on these boards are things I disagree with, but I still like to put thought into it before deciding if it's good advice for me or not. Different things work for different people, and if someone can help me find a way to make myself better by sharing what they know, then by all means bring it on.