Skip to main content

Reply to "Groundout % vs. Flyout %"

baseballpapa- Yes, it is a traditional lefty circle change as you described. I can make it move horizontally or vertically more or less depending on how much pronation I create upon release, and I've been working hard at improving consistency with that pitch. I'm a big fan of working backwards off a changeup...I've thrown first pitch changeups, I've thrown 2-0 changeups, I've thrown 4 consecutive changeups. I feel that if you are able to repeat your delivery and locate, a good changeup is the most lethal pitch to have in a repertoire.

In 60 innings pitched this year I gave up 45 hits (6 for extra bases..5 doubles and 1 HR), walked 19 batters (3 intentionally) and struck out 42. So in terms of the MLB averages that you stated, I would say that at the level I am playing at currently, I am right around par with those.

I have a detailed account of my own statistics that I compile. I've seen many people get wrapped up in their own stats so much that it hinders the way they pitch. But I do it more for analysis...first pitch strikes ratio, Strike/Ball ratio, WHIP, opponent's slugging %, ERA. I like to go at-bat by at-bat of games I pitched and pick out mistakes I made and try to replay it and fix them in front of a mirror. Little things like this I feel have helped me get a bit of an edge on some of my competition mentally. I don't have the size or stuff a lot of the other guys have so I feel that I need to beat them by repeating my delivery and reliving situations so that when the time comes to take the mound, I just trust my stuff and go. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say I throw 100 pitches in my head for every 1 pitch I throw in a game.

I think that's part of what prompted my initial GO% vs. FO% question...just wanted to learn more about myself as a pitcher and build off of that.
Last edited by J H