Skip to main content

Reply to "Hampden-Sydney"

quote:
HS baseball--it's Div III. You have to choose at some point in your life--baseball and all the time and energy it takes, or something else (focus on academics, a job, an intership during the spring, study abroad, a relationship)? We all make the "something else" choice at some time, and it is worth asking whether playing at the Div III level outweighs what you give up in terms of working towards your future. Certainly, if you want baseball to be a part of that future, then by all means, stick with it at the highest possible level. If not, then think about when you hang up the spikes and concentrate on life after baseball.

rhobbs, why make this comment about DIII as opposed to NAIA, DII or DI?
What would be the reasons/considerations to play at each of those(NAIA, DI and DII) levels but would have playing at DIII level baseball "outweighed" by what you give up in terms of "working toward your future?"
Just the other day I posted some stats about DI graduation rates for baseball players. Schools like Texas, LSU, and Fullerton are graduating anywhere from 27% to 40% of their baseball players.
If we envision the role of college is to educate, wouldn't most of those DI players be better off giving up baseball in favor of their education? Even coming out of those schools, the chances of having a career and making a living in baseball is slim, at the very, very best, and more realistically, less than that.
You really have my interest piqued in your comments so I look forward to reading your thoughts.
Last edited by infielddad