Skip to main content

Reply to "Hampden-Sydney"

quote:
Virtually every DI player, when they start college, is thinking that the pros are a possibility.

There is a huge difference between thinking you have pro possibility and proving you are one of the maybe 2-3% of the college players that end up on a MLB roster.
Personally, to say that every DI player is someone seen as having pro potential isn't accurate either. When you are talking about the 3 schools I listed, having the ability to play college ball at a high level and get drafted is the best projection that can be said. I would propose the vast majority of players at the DI level don't have that level of skill and projectability.
Even if we accept that as a given, are you guys saying players at those schools, being graduated at the rates I listed, are justified making the sacrifice college baseball requires, with the slim chance of being drafted and even slimmer of getting to MLB, even though 3 out of 10 don't graduate?
Head off to a DIII regional come May. After you watch the level of play, the intensity of the competition, the desire, the love of the game and quality of players, we could talk about this again.
As opposed to what you have posted, I might propose that graduation rates like I have posted do not justify having the option to play at the DI level.
To suggest college baseball can be justified and supported because it provides a route to get drafted into Milb is a position I question. Why do you propose that is a valid reason?