Skip to main content

Reply to "Hard or Easy schedule"

What determines how you get into playoffs?  When I was in Kentucky everyone makes the playoffs so I played a super hard schedule and we usually had a losing records but by the time playoffs rolled around we were pretty good.  KY does not have classifications so we would get beat out by bigger schools but boy were they some good games.

In NC you have to win your conference to get automatic berth in playoffs.  After that then it goes to winning percentage.  I just made my first schedule for NC and it's not as tough as i would like but in this first year I want to maximize my chances of playing in the playoffs.  I think we have a good chance to win our conference but if we finish third then we would be on the bubble I think.  Something new this year is somehow Maxpreps is going to create a strength of schedule and it will affect seeding and all that.  

Once you know how to make the playoffs then it comes down to scheduling that benefits you.  Play a super weak schedule then you will rack up the wins but you're going to get bounced early in most situations.  Play too tough of a schedule then you can do more harm than good unless you're a great mental toughness coach.  I want the tougher teams because it causes your team to rise to the challenge IF they have a legit shot at winning - let's say play 10 times you can win 3 or 4.  I'll sprinkle in a few weaker teams as stress relievers, to teach us how to stay focused when the game is out of hand and get my subs some playing time.  

Great discussion but so many variables going on that it's really an individual preference