Skip to main content

Reply to "Has anyone ever seen a PG grade of less than 7?"

#1 Assistant Coach posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

We are having a debate on another site about PG showcase grades and the following point system was posted, presumably from the PG website, that the grades stand for:

10 -- Potential very high draft pick, Top DI in the nation prospect
9 -- Potential top 10 round pick, Top DI prospect
8 -- Potential mid round pick, definite DI prospect
7 -- Potential low round pick, DI prospect or top level Juco, DII
6 -- Possible DI prospect, definite DII or Juco prospect
5 -- Possible DII prospect or mid range Juco prospect
4 -- Possible low level DII or high level DIII prospect
3 -- Possible DIII or low level Juco prospect
2 -- Possible low level DIII prospect
1 -- No prospect at this time

I can't recall ever seeing a PG grade of less than I think maybe a 7...has anyone seen a showcase grade below that?  Has anyone seen a player with a recent PG score of an 8 play for a D1? i.e not the showcase score they got when they were in 9th grade, but a recent to graduation PG score of an 8 or 8.5 on a D1 roster?

These number explanations seem kind of wonky to me.  What do y'all think?

Not looking for praise for son here, only sharing this nugget for those whose son's may be in same boat as mine was:

Yes, I have seen a PG grade of less than 7.  It was my son.   And his Grade was 6.5  It was his freshman year of HS.  He knew, that due to his young age, he could have it omitted from his PG Profile page.   He said, "No leave it.  I'll keep working and go back there and do better."   But he also knew, that any coach or person who looked him up on PG would immediately see PG GRADE: 6.5 front and center next to his name.  Please note:  since he was graded a 6.5 he went on to commit to two different D-1 programs, and had additional D-1 and D-3 offers while that 6.5 was there on his PG Profile page.  Son always felt it was sort of a "scarlet number," but it obviously never was an issue in his recruitment.  Coaches trust their own eyes, period.  A good PG Grade can help, but I don't think a bad one will "kill" one's recruitment.  

Long story short, after he committed to second D-1 this summer, he finally did a second PG showcase and was graded a 9.5

Remember, PG Grades are a snapshot.  They do not define.  They only tell you where you are on that day.  Throughout my son's journey whenever he mused about his level of development, usually believing he was behind his peers (and he was), I always told him, "Relax.  You're right where your supposed to be."

I always thought PG overrated a lot of players until I really noticed and understood two words, "potential" and "possible." It's easy to want to eliminate these words in your mind and replace with "is." It goes back to "hear what the coach is really saying, not want you want to hear." I saw a lot of "potential" 8's turn out to be 3-5's.

Last edited by RJM