Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst Long Island"

Aleebaba,

That's a reasonable recommendation, and may end up being his strategy.  If I do send him to Headfirst (son always pays a portion of the fee), it will be for the personal contact with coaches.

In my limited experience with recruiting, it reminds me of searching for a job.  Resumes and research are important, but it usually comes down to a personal connection.  Coaches seem to rely heavily on their instincts.  When they see a kid on the field, they know very quickly whether or not they like him.  (One of my favorite movie lines is “Ugly girlfriend means no confidence.” from Moneyball.)

The timing is also a big factor.  Son has a wide-ranging  list of schools, but he's been focused on the ones that may end up being out of his reach (baseball-wise).  If he hasn't found a home by next August, I know he will be much more receptive to schools that were further down the list (or not even on it).  At that point you’re running out of time for research and camps.  If just a handful of the 70-odd schools at Headfirst think they can make both the baseball and academics work, then I’d be happy with the investment.

fenwaysouth,

More great advice.  It makes me think about setting a target SAT and/or ACT score connected to Headfirst.  Current thinking is for him to take the March SAT, and the June ACT.

Thank you, both.