Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst Long Island"

Originally Posted by leftyshortstop:

Penn, Princeton, Columbia, and Dartmouth were at all of the sessions. I noticed one of the Dartmouth assistants in street clothes all week.  Princeton coach was wearing a golf club hat and not all Princeton gear.  Coaches that are being payed are supposed to be in uniform but it doesn't always seem to be the case, especially on day two.  Some coaches, who are not being payed, hang around in street clothes.

I haven't figured out exactly why they do this other than they don't want to be approached during certain times.  A few years ago at HeadFirst, my son spoke to one of the Ivy coaches (in uniform) between games on Day 1.  They had a great conversation that followed up on previous phone conversations. 

On the last HeadFirst day, we were in the parking lot talking with two D1 local coaches (in uniform) that had previously offered him.  Once our conversations were over,  this "person" in street clothes comes running over to us by our car.  He is trying to get our attention.   It was the same Ivy recruiter (from Day 1) but he was in street clothes, unshaven with floppy hat and sunglasses.   We didn't recognize him at first or second glance.   This Ivy recruiter said somedays he has go "incognito" to get his job done at events like HeadFirst.  On the ride home, my son noted that the recruiter "wore that "H" awfully heavy on his uniform" on Day 1.

So, the old saying that "you never know who is watching" is still true.