Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs Showball"

Iowamom23 posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

Great thread—thanks to all. 

My son is a PO.  I take it the consensus here is school camps matter less for pitchers?  (So long as you have verified velo readings from a showcase or three and some video to send...)

My son is a 2018 PO. He attended multiple school camps and got offers from all but one of the schools he visited.

He was down to making a decision when a school we'd visited a lot stepped in at the last minute and asked him to come to another camp. I was pretty much done, their RC, HC and PC had seem him throw multiple times in games, at showcases and so on video. But son insisted — apparently they had some technology that measures spin rate and they wanted to see his stats on that. We went, they offered before the camp was over. They flat out said they wouldn't have offered if we hadn't done that last camp.

Good to know—thanks. Just wondering: were these mostly schools within driving distance of home?  My son wants (at least for now) to go to school in a different part of the country.  I’d like to minimize air travel. Although if I’m going to spend close to $300k on college anyhow, then another few grand for plane tickets is a good investment, I guess. Trying to figure out the smartest strategy for this...

BigTaco, thanks for the tip re: video of the current Maroons. Not sure I’m a qualified judge, but I will check that out later when I’m on an Internet connection fast enough for video. (And to be clear: I knew some very good athletes at Chicago. In many cases, they had made a conscious choice to focus on academics instead of sports in college. But nobody’s first thought about the school is “athletics.”)