Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs Showball"

My 2018 was very late to the recruiting game, and went to both Showball and HF showcases in August 2017. They were one after the other, on Long Island. My son much preferred HF. Better fields, better contact with coaches, better run drills, etc.. Keep in mind that he stunk it up at the plate at Showball and tore the cover off the ball at HF, as well as fielded well at SS/OF, and showed off his sub 7.0/60 speed, and his 90+mph OF arm. That biased him towards HF, I think. He had a 3.6 GPA with a rigorous schedule(coaches don't care, admissions do) and a 33 ACT.

He had already been in contact with a few schools prior to the showcases, but this was the first time that they had seen him in person. After the showcases, he had multiple contacts both from coaches that he had alerted of his presence beforehand, and ones he had never contacted. Off the top of my head, there was Carleton, Macalester, U of Chicago, Wesleyan, Middlebury, McGill, Stevens(I think?), Swarthmore and a few more. There was slight interest from Davidson, some school in VA, Dartmouth, and Columbia in the D1 camp.

On top of that he had interest from schools with lesser academics in the D2's/JC's, although it's hard to determine where they got their info from. Grapevine?

When you leave it late like we did, it gets to be very hard to make all the camp invitations, as they take place in a condensed time in the fall, before the ED dates in November. A couple of schools lost interest when he told them he couldn't make their camps because of his schedule...he was also playing Fall ball for a very good traveling team that he had committed to, and, because he was looking at some really good schools, and had to keep his marks up. Made for a stressful fall, and would've been very expensive if he had followed up on all the camp invites.

All turned out well, as he ended up at a school that he really, really, likes, but I believe that if he had any chance at playing D1(not a big concern on his part) he would've had to have started earlier than he did. Many coaches there indicated that he could play at mid/low level D1's, but we didn't have the time, money, and energy to chase down every option out there. I firmly believe that if he was 6'2"+ rather than his 5'9" on tippy toes then he would have had more interest. He already had schools indicating interest in converting him to P because of his arm strength, but for every one of those there were two schools whose eyes glazed over once they realized his height.

Overall, I am a big believer in the Academic camps, and especially HF, if your player is academically inclined. Zero sleazeball factor. As a Dad, I acted as a go between/lackey for my kid at times to let coaches know where and when they could meet, but otherwise I stayed out of things, unless I knew the coach a bit already and we were on friendly terms. Even then, I was highly conscious of not being "that Dad". 

Last edited by 57special