Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs Showball"

If I had to do it all over again I would choose HF & Targeted school camps. It used to be the Ivies had unwritten rule of no recruiting until Junior year. (2.5 yrs of grades and early test scores). Upenn changed that & now the Ivies are actively hunting P's earlier. Son went to Columbia, Lehigh, Yale, Dartmouth Upenn  , Fordham over 3 years. Columbia (Best Run) Dartmouth (By far worst). He played for a well known travel team and had 2 offers from D1 schools from Virginia. He wasnt interested based on location & still looking Ivy. He needed to improve SAT. Attended HF in August on Long Island. Very pleasurable and he got a ton of contacts. Wooster, Kenyon, Wesleyan (CT) were at forefront. StevensTech & Muhlenberg in mix.  I was impressed with the HF process. He chose a school with a 63k price tag, but gave him ALOT of Merit based Aid. 

Final thoughts: Ivy contention if You have a 3.9 & min 1320 SAT. I think this is will keep your kids file active.

Grades & Test Scores Count: Grades from Freshman Year thru Senior year count bigtime. Invest in SAT Test Prep classes. Best investment / ROI

HF Price Tag is pricey but worth it.

DO NOT GO TO A SHOWCASE OR CAMP UNTIL JUNIOR IS READY. My son was small freshman year 5'6" & no where near physically where he needed to be. Impressions from coaches are hard to change. This was my fault. By summer of 2017 My son was a completely different person from previous 2 years.

Hope this helps & these are my thoughts based on our experiences.