Skip to main content

Reply to "Henrico Getting State Tourneys, Turf Fields!"

Midlo Dad posted:

The county is leaking money from many cracks, so many that it can't seem to find cash for things most people would like to see.

The truth about turf is, over time it's cheaper than grass.  But you have to come up with the up-front cash to make it go, and then you have to do it again every 7-8 years.  Plus, not everyone knows how to make the intermediate repairs (things like patching the batters' boxes, etc.).  So it's not the easiest transition, but perhaps having Henrico blaze the trail will make it easier in time.

Personally, I'm happy without middle school baseball.  6th and 7th grade on the big diamond is very rough baseball and not worth a lot when you're talking about having to have 15-18 kids in uniform.  I like the current system, where you might have 3-6 8th graders playing HS JV and forming the bedrock of their class for a 5-year hitch.  In the meantime, those 3-6 guys get better instruction and experience for a travel ball team that's free to play during the spring months, than they would for a MS team.

Fair points.  My oldest son grew up playing travel ball and my younger son still plays.  There is no denying that travel ball is generally producing the best players. 

However, I am a big fan of giving the kids the opportunity to represent their schools.  Besides, the expense of travel ball excludes a lot of potential participants.