Skip to main content

Reply to "Heres to You Mr High School Baseball Watcher!"

I had the pleasure of meeting several of these characters at my sons tournament last weekend. My son always played in a different league and teams, so this is our first experience with the parents of his teammates. I'm not sure if these people have been listed above, but here are some new characters I met.

Screamer mom - she screams at the top of her lungs whenever her child gets a hit. And I'm not talking about a "wohoo, good job Johnny"! I'm talking about ear piercing, pee your pants startling screaming at the top of your lungs that lasts until said batter stops at 2nd base. This mom acknowledges the behavior is annoying, but assures us we will get used to it. Um, no, I will never get used to that one.

Mr. I've got a comment about every pitch, including warm up pitches - this guy has something to say about every. Single. Pitch. Most of the time, they are loudly blurted negative comments to kids he doesn't even know. Things like "come on now", "don't over pitch", "just pound the zone" and my new favorite "one and done!" He just can't resist throwing in his two cents and showing everyone how much he doesn't know.

Mr/Ms I've had enough - this is the parent that lets loose on the two types of parents above after his/her nerves are so badly frayed from the experience. Sadly, that parent was me last weekend. When Mr. Comment about every pitch was loudly offering advice to my child during pre-inning warm-ups, I lost it. We were two games into the tournament and parents and players were all quietly whispering about this guy. I feel bad for losing it on the guy, but I don't feel bad about the sentiment. One of our own fans shouldn't be getting into the heads of our own pitchers.

That was my intro to our high school baseball experience.